Thursday, March 17, 2005

Learning Portfolio on ADHD

Four years ago, I had the opportunity to tutor an elementary student with such talent that it was difficult for him to be in a regular school. He was quick to understand concepts but would always crave for playtime and attention. He was diagnosed having an Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Not that it interfered gravely on his ability to obtain and retain knowledge, but it made his socializing a task.
I tried to make our sessions together productive in a way that would not trigger an ADHD incident, but of course that was highly improbable. I had no background on education then, much more “special education”, so I had to find ways to calm him down so we could at least get his assignments done. I often wonder what it would have been like if my training had been better, if I had a formal education on Special Education. I only hope that what I have contributed to his education was enough; that his experience with school and his sessions with me were as fruitful as mine.

Mission

To increase awareness, develop appreciation, and become a more effective special education advocate to individuals with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder.